Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Old Age & Day Lilies

I'm 58 years old and finally reached a time in my life where I can stay home & garden & pursue other interests. But all of a sudden I have been struck with a terrible and painful diagnosis of arthritis in my knees. The left one is much worse to the point of dragging my leg to keep from bending it. Been to the doctor....several times... and have been trying every natural remedy I can find on the internet. What a damper this has put on my plans. I once told my son, "Life sucks and then you die, but along the way you will encounter some wonderful, beautiful experiences that make it bearable." Those experiences for me are the bountiful rewards that come from my faith, my son, my grand-daughter, my amazing husband, my family, my close friends, the God given creation that makes me ooooh & ahhhhh and never ceases to surprise me. I am very emotionally sensitive to animals, flowers, sunsets, butterflies & lightning bugs, the quiet cool stillness of the night, the wind & the sea.....you know. So I've slowed down, rest more and make smaller short termed plans. Bummer.

I wish I could have my 20 year old body back. Of course I would also like to have the knowledge at 20 that I have now. I spent a lifetime working in retail, standing on my feet all day and have nothing to show for it but worn out knees. Oh, and I can fold a dozen shirts in a minute, talk on the phone, take money & bag your merchandise all at the same time. I'm good but feel unfulfilled. I think I would have started a day lily farm and a koi business.

This is one of my favorites: Open Hearth

About 20 years ago, an elderly neighbor who was an avid gardener showed me her backyard. It was planted with dozens of day lilies. She would cross breed and create new colors & designs. I received my first day lily from this precious gardening angel. A couple of years ago I ordered several off the internet and was disappointed that it took about 2 years for them to mature enough to bloom. Then I found out there is a day lily farm right here in my area. I have gone bonkers and always wish I had $100.00 to spend every time I visit. Crenshaw Day lily Farm in Bay Minette, Alabama is owned and ran by Dianne Crenshaw. Dianne is the greatest and the sweetest and will make you feel right at home. The farm also has an antique store so be ready to spend 1/2 a day there.Take a look at their Facebook sight:  https://www.facebook.com/CrenshawFarmsDaylilyGarden

Me and Dianne. I took her a couple of my day lilies so she can use them to cross breed. She has made some beautiful lilies that she plans to register.



I purchased 4 unregistered lilies and named one of them after my grand-daughter.


My 5 year old grand-daughter loves flowers and gardening and know the names of many of them. When she came to visit this past Sunday she spotted the day lily I named after her. "Oh Lovey, this one is beautiful!" It is an almost white day lily that I've named Heavenly Lakelynn.


I also named one after my husband, my son and my step grandson.




I want a bright pink lily so I am looking and trying to decide from the dozens that are available. I have a gorgeous very dark lily named Ed Murray.


My garden is blooming and I have seen a few bees but the butterflies are no where to be found. This alarms me. Last year I had numerous butterflies of all colors and sizes.


My hydrangea, Flamingo flower and glads are also blooming.




Oh, and someday soon I WILL have a Koi pond!!!!

Ahhhhhh....perfect.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the post on Crenshaw Farms and I'm now following your blog. Looking forward to the next post.
    I purchased a day lily like your yellow one shown in the pic with two blooms. I love the ruffly edges!
    Judypimperl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete