Saturday, January 25, 2014

I was lied to....

She really wasn't a mini pot-bellied pig!!! We got Oprah....my husband named her that....when she was a tiny thing. My husband tucked her under his jacket and we took her home. I had read that it is very easy to potty train a pot-belly pig to use a litter box and within two days the darn pig was using its kitty litter box. I kept her confined to the kitchen/dinning area during the day when I was not home because of the tile floor. Taking no chances with any carpeted area!! I even bought her a lease and we took her exploring with us.


All was fine until one day I came home to find all my potted plants turned over and rooted out of their pots. My kitchen floor was covered in black potting soil. It became evident the little girl was wanting to go in the yard! Oprah loved the backyard and spent her days playing with the neighbors boys or laying in the sun just living a pigs life.


 

The average mini pot-belly pig gets to about 35 lbs when full grown but we had a problem here.....she kept growing like a pig exposed to nuclear feed. I had kept to the rule that you do not overfeed and limit the feed to 2 cups a day. My husband said she was crossed with a big hog and not a mini pot-belly. Next time I want to see BOTH the parents!! Oprah was kept in a large pen with an electric wire around the bottom to keep her from rooting out. She was very destructive when it came to my flower garden. She rooted up and bulbs, tubers and small plants. She killed my prize Tibochina bush. Every so often she would find a way out of her pen and it was almost impossible to get her to go back in. She was very smart and knew all the tricks we used....like luring her with Cheetos!! This pot-belly hog was over 200 lbs now. One day I came home to find her in the chicken feed....again....and decided to list this giant on Craig's List. She was beyond my control.






Two teenage boys responded to the ad from a farm south of us. They had a male pig and wanted to use Oprah to breed. I told them fine but she was not to be used as food or to be butchered....she was a pet. They assured me they would treat her good. Those two kids showed up in a pick-up truck and proceeded to catch, hog-tie, and lift her into their truck. I have never laughed so hard in all my life! Oprah was squealing and pooping at the same time. Those boys were covered in pig poop....and their truck by the time all was secured. No charge. Bye Oprah. I still want a real mini pig but George said NO!

No comments:

Post a Comment